Learn how to properly write title tags. Learn 10 tips on what are SEO title tag best practices. Keep reading to know: What are title tags and why are they important? What´s the difference between title tags and meta tags? How to add the title tag in WordPress to achieve website tag optimization?
I will show you how to write good title tags and how should be the SEO title tag length. Also, I will give you some SEO title tag examples. Finally, you will learn SEO title tag best practices to give your audicence a good user experience.
1. What are title tags and why are they important?
2. What´s the difference between title tags and meta tags?
3. Website title tag optimization.
4. How to add the title tag in WordPress.
5. SEO title tag length
6. Generate targeted traffic using title tags for a good user experience and better ranking.
7. Duplicates title tags WordPress.
8. How to write good title tags for a good user experience
9. SEO title tags examples
10.SEO title tag best practices
How to set up your website for search engines video
What are title tags and why are they important?
Title tags are the title of your post or page written in HTML code so that search engines like Google, Bing and Yahoo can recognize what your post or page is all about.
Title tags are really important for many reasons:
- First of all, they are the second most important factor (following content) taken into account for website´s rankings.
- They show up in the search engine result pages (SERP) of Google, Bing and Yahoo.
- When a person looks for something in search engines, title tags are the first thing they are going to read and they are going to use, to decide whether they enter into your website or not.
- Also, they appear in the tab browsers so, when users are working with many web pages opened at the same time, they can easily know where is every website.
- Finally, they are going to be shown every time you share your post or page on social media like Facebook.
What´s the difference between title tags and meta tags?
The title tag is the headline of your post or page written in HTML code. It is necessary for search engines so that, they can find your post or page, and know what it is all about.
The title tag is shown at the top of your screen browser and at the search engine result pages (SERP) or in social media posts. The way how you write your title tag is very important for users to choose which one to click. If you have good title tags that the users of your website love and relate to them, you will have more clicks and more engaging content that will allow you to get more traffic with time, and also get better rankings in search engines.
Meta tags, on the other hand, are the meta descriptions or meta keywords written in the description in HTML code. It usually appears as the description at the search engine result pages (SERP). The meta description tag isn´t important for rankings, but it is very important for users because it could affect the click and conversion rate.
Website title tag optimization.
To obtain title tag optimization for your website, you should write your title tag in the HTML code. Maybe you don´t really know about using the HTML code, but you can install a plugin to optimize your Website for search engines.
For instance, my website, https://myentrepreneurshipsite.com, is a WordPress website using the SiteRubix platform builder and host. It comes with the All in One SEO pack pre-installed, which is a plugin that gets ready your website for SEO.
All I had to do was to activate the plugin, and all my pages and posts have the headline written as the title tag by default. I can also customize it, in other words, change it, if I want. Maybe you would like to know more about how to get your website optimized for search engines, you can read my post about what is the All in One SEO.
Whether you need to know more about how to build a free website, you can read my post about how to make a free website and make money. Build your website for free, using the SiteRubix platform at Wealthy Affiliate. Read my review about Wealthy Affiliate to know what this great entrepreneurship program offers.
How to add the title tag in WordPress.
To be able to add the title tag in your WordPress website using the All in One SEO plugin, you just have to write your post´s heading and it will show as the title tag by default.
However, if you want the title tag to be different from your headline, you can customize it writing it yourself using the right keywords you prefer. After writing your post´s content, go down where it is written All In One SEO Pack. Where it is written Title, you should write the title tag. Remember that, the title tag you are going to write should be about the content you wrote in your post, it should be the title of your content post.
SEO title tag length
The title tag should have a specific limit for its length. Most search engines use a top of 60 characters or 600 pixels for their title tag for desktops (for some mobile devices it might be a little longer).
Be careful, not to exceed the length limit. You will have the chance of your title tag getting cut at the end when you go beyond the limit of 60 characters or 600 pixels. Therefore, always write the main keywords at the beginning of your title tag.
If you use narrower letters, like ¨i¨ or ¨l¨, you might write your title tag a little longer up to 70 characters as the maximum because as long as it is under 600 pixels it´s all right. But if you use wider letters like ¨w¨ or ¨m¨ you will want to keep under 60 characters or 600 pixels just to be sure that your title tag won´t be trunkated by search engines.
When you write your title tag beyond the limit, your title tag showing in the search result pages will run the chances of been cut at the end. The minimum length your title tag should have is 30 characters or 300 pixels. Otherwise, you run the chances that the search engines will use some of your headings as the title tag.
Generate targeted traffic using title tags for a good user experience and better ranking.
Title tags and snippets, which are the description of the content of your page, show up in search engine result pages (SERP) and will influence the user experience click through rate (CTR), which is the percentage of people clicking a specific link to the number of people viewing the page.
Watch this youtube video below for a better understanding of what snippets are.
Title tags also show in social media and in web browser tabs, so having an appealing title tag as the headline of your social media article will increase the chances to your post to be shared and increase the CTR.
Duplicates title tags WordPress.
The title tags should be unique for every post or page written in your website. Otherwise, you will lose rankings because search engines will get confused not knowing which page or post to rank for specific keywords when there are duplicates title tags.
How to write good title tags for a good user experience
- Use the optimal length of 50-60 characters.
- Use the top targeted keywords at the beginning of your title tag.
- Write top referring keywords so that when people type their keywords into their search box, they can find the exact keywords in the title tags. It will increase your click through rate (CTR)
- Use keyword tools to make keyword research to find the keywords that your visitors are actually using (what is your audience looking for). You can read my review on Jaaxy which is the best keyword tool in the online marketing business.
- Using numbers in the title tags tend to get a higher click through rate (CTR). Odd numbers lists (1-3-5) tend to work better. Percentages of savings usually work good too. They make your title stand out and make it more specific.
- Using dates (year, month and year) might increase your CTR. Make sure to update your dates when it is needed.
- Call to action words.
- Use action words: search, buy, listen, find, watch, download, access, learn, etc.
- Use SERP to find variants to the keywords that people are searching.
- They are usually highlight bold in SERP
SEO title tags examples
Title tags bad example.
This title tag is in page 10 of search engine result page of Google. Let´s mention some reasons why it is buried in page 10 of SERP.
- Length: it´s so long that it got trunkated by search engines
- The targeted top keywords are not at the beginning of the title tag. In fact, they might have been cut off at the end.
- It´s not appealing neither captivating.
- The title tag is vaguely written. It doesn´t really show what the post is about specifically.
- The capitalization in the title tag makes it look weird or like a spam.
Title tags good example.
This title tag is in page 1 of Google´s SERP. Let´s list some reasons why this title tag might have been ranked number 1.
- The length is under 60 characters so it shows complete.
- The keywords are at the beginning of the title tag.
- There is a catching headline at the end of the title tag offering something free
- It uses a list of add numbers to show what it offers (lists have a higher click through rate).
- Separating keyword phrases with pipes looks great.
SEO title tag best practices
Write good title tags thinking in your audience to give them a good user experience, and also optimize your title tags for search engines (Google, Bing, Yahoo) and you will see a great increase in your website rankings. Make an effort to write your title tags in the right way so that you can get an increase click through rate. Therefore, you will increase your traffic and your rankings.
Remember that you are optimizing your title tags not only for search engines but mainly for people. They are your target audience. They are your main goal. Your users are going to determine the click through rate you will have and search engines are going to respond to that.
Watch the video below for a complete tutorial on how to set up your website for search engines. The tutorial was made by Kyle, the creator of Wealthy Affiliate, the best entrepreneur training course in the online world.
I hope you find useful the 10 tips I gave you for SEO title tag best practices. If you have any other ideas, suggestions or any questions, please don´t hesitate to leave them bellow. Also, if you liked this article I would appreciate very much some likes and sharing with your friends on social media.
If you are interested in joining a training on how to build your own online business, then
====>>> Read my #1 Recommendation here